Vacay: Tell us a bit about yourself!
Originally from Sydney, I made the move to study veterinary science at uni in Townsville in sunny Far North QLD. Although I enjoy a jog around the river here, I do miss the sparkling waves of Bondi Beach. I like to unwind from my time in lectures with a glass of red wine and a dish to match!
Vacay: Where are you from and what brought you to Queenstown, NZ?
Although I love to bathe in Austraila’s sunshine, sometimes I have a craving for some snow. Queenstown, NZ, had awesome review from friends about their slopes as well as the nightlife.
Vacay: What is it one thing about Queenstown, NZ that you fell in love with?
The incredible views took my breath away. Both down in the town surrounded by towering mountains, as well as standing at the top gazing out over the slopes. I had never seen anything like it!
Vacay: What was your favourite thing to do while you were there?
Definitely the skiing. Although I’m a bit of a rookie, I found there were slopes of all different types that I could try out to improve my skills. The community there was really supportive of beginners, both on the snow and recovering at the bar!
Vacay: What are some tips you have for those heading to Queenstown this winter?
Book early to get the accommodation you want! It’s a small town so places fill up quickly.
Vacay: Your top 3 places to eat?
- I became obsessed with the Cookie Time Cookie Bar. Warm freshly made cookies that melt in your mouth warms you up in the cold
- You cannot go to Queenstown without getting a Fergburger. I’m drooling just thinking about them. Although the queue can be long the buzzing atmosphere helps pass the time. You can pre-order to skip the queue too!
- Halo Forbidden Bite – my vegan friends favourite pick! Huge selection of great dishes
Vacay: Your top 3 bars/ clubs?
- Bardeaux – really cosy with a killer cocktail list
- Harry’s Pool Bar – great vibes for some casual Friday drinks playing pool
- 1876 – a good pub and bar with a really nice outdoor area (plenty of heating don’t worry!)
Vacay: Where do you recommend staying?
I stayed at a friend’s place but I always think airbnb's are the way to go as it was nice to come back from a long day of skiing and collapse in your own space. Unless you’re a solo traveller in which case I heard the hostels were the place to be!
Vacay: And lastly, where to next?
The top of my travel to-go list is a tie between Iceland with it’s thermal spas, glaciers and the Northern Lights; and heading to the USA for Burning Man festival – a big bucket list dream of mine!